Clayoquot Sound Land Use Decision
Clayoquot Sound Watershed Plans
On October 15, 2003, the first three official Clayoquot Sound Watershed Plans were brought into effect, after being endorsed by the two parties of the Clayoquot Sound Interim Measures Extension Agreement (IMEA), i.e. the Nuu-Chah-Nulth Central Region Chiefs and the Province of British Columbia.
These plans covered the Flores, Cypre and Bedingfield watershed planning units, and were prepared by the Clayoquot Sound Technical Planning Committee (CSTPC), co-chaired by representatives from the Central Region First Nations and from the Ministry of Sustainable Resource Management (now Integrated Land Management Bureau).
On July 27, 2006 the Clayoquot Sound Central Region Board announced, on behalf of the Parties to the IMEA, endorsement of another eight watershed plans. These plans apply to eight watershed planning units: Tofino-Tranquil (Onadsilth-Eelseuklis), Sydney-Pretty Girl, Bedwell-Ursus-Bulson, Hesquiaht, Kennedy Lake, Upper Kennedy River, Clayoquot River and Fortune Channel. With this announcement, the CSTPC has completed 11 official watershed plans, covering over 77 per cent of Clayoquot Sound.
The watershed plans were developed in accordance with the principles and recommendations set out by the Scientific Panel for Sustainable Forest Practices in Clayoquot Sound. The plans will guide site-level forest planning and forest harvesting by identifying reserved areas, which are excluded from logging, and harvestable areas, where forestry operations will be implemented in accordance with the Science Panel's vision, goals and objectives for sustainable ecosystem management. Furthermore, the plans include special management areas, including culturally significant areas identified by First Nations, where practices will be subject to additional restrictions and conditions in order to safeguard sensitive values. Finally, the plans also specify the rate-of-cut limits that apply in pertinent watersheds and drainages in accordance with Science Panel recommendations, to ensure that watershed integrity is maintained.
- 10 Key Points on the Clayoquot Sound Land-Use Decsion
- Clayoquot Sound Land-Use Decision - Key Elements
- Background for the Order Establishing Land Use Objectives for Clayoquot Sound [pdf]
- Order Establishing Land Use Objectives for Clayoquot Sound [pdf]
Watershed Plans endorsed in 2003
Watershed Plans endorsed in 2006
- Volume 1: Clayoquot Principles & Process (updated August 2, 2006)
- Volume 2: Tofino-Tranquil (Onadsilth-Eelseuklis) (updated August 2, 2006)
- Volume 3: Sydney-Pretty Girl (updated August 2, 2006)
- Volume 4: Bedwell-Ursus-Bulson (updated August 2, 2006)
- Volume 5: Hesquiaht (updated August 2, 2006)
- Volume 6: Kennedy Lake (updated August 2, 2006)
- Volume 7: Upper Kennedy River (updated August 2, 2006)
- Volume 8: Clayoquot River (updated August 2, 2006)
- Volume 9: Fortune Channel (updated August 2, 2006)
Also, the July 2006 Clayoquot Sound Technical Planning Committee Progress Report is now available online.
Planning Team Leader
Vancouver Island Service Centre
2080A Labieux Rd.
Nanaimo, BC V9T 6J9
Ph: (250) 751-3100